Day two!

 Hi all - catching up on my surgery and day two - hopefully "get to go home day"!

Anyone that has had a hospital stay knows that sleep is a commodity! I tried to get in periods of sleep in between HR and BP checks, blood work, bathroom trips, and bladder scans. Oh what a night!! Hey - There is a song with this phrase as subtitle! December, 1963 = Frankie Valli! 

Ok - back to the details! 

The morning was busy with nurses checking everything - again. My BP was still very low. My HR as well; 39 as a matter of fact! This brought in the charge nurse for a manual check of HR and yes...39 it was! I was not "attached" to automatic BP/HR monitor. Well, that changed quickly. However, before they attached me we did a bathroom trip. I still had a feeling that I was not able to empty fully. I can't truly explain the "feeling" but it felt there was a narrowing. Due to the retention issues the night before scans were protocol. Scan completed and yes, retention again. There was almost 400cc's still present. This would require a conversation with doctor for evaluation.

I was "attached" to the monitors and immediately the alarms were sounding; indicating that my HR was below 50. The nurse adjusted the parameters having alarms activate below 47. Yup, more alarms. It was decided to let them "sound" for the time being.

Some explanation - I work part-time as a group exercise instructor (for those who do not know me). I teach a pretty hard indoor cycle class 4 times a week. I was a previous half and full marathon runner. I started running in my forties and ended routine running around 2015 following my left knee replacement. You notice that I said "routine" as I still did a number of races with no finish goals pushing me harder than my knee could take. Even after my left hip replacement in 2020 I had two races (Mountain Goat and Boilermaker) that I could not bring myself to give up. However, I did not run; I trotted along the courses to the finish line; walking more than anything else! I do not train to "run" but I do use the treadmill and elliptical to augment my cardio vascular fitness.

In addition, I do routine strength training. I have not added consistent strength classes to my schedule but I did sub a class "Strength and Chisel" often. I also developed a fusion class - Stretch, Core and More, that works on flexibility, core conditioning and balance that "rounds" my fitness program. 

I have had a low HR for a number of years but I do think 39 was the lowest!

I was able to eat breakfast and was happy when a nursing student found me another cup of coffee! She spent a lot of the morning with me. She watched as Occupational Therapy worked with me. I remembered the use of the assistive devices and was able to demonstrate this. I got dressed and just as I was finishing the Ortho PA came in to evaluate how I was doing. Her first report in the surgery. She let me know, again, that I bled more than typical but not as bad as the first hip. She said that my blood levels are lower than normal but no need for transfusion. she explained that they would do more blood work at my appointment to remove the staples to ensure I am not anemic. We talked, in detail, about my BP and HR and she believed that neither were a cause to keep me in the hospital. Then the topic of retention. She explained that sometimes the nerve and spinal block will affect the bladder and cause this issue. There is a protocol regarding the amount that can be retained without the need for catherization. In tis hospital it is 400cc. In my last scan I was just under - 393cc. The plan was to have more trips to bathroom and another scan below 400cc. If successful - home!

Physical therapy came in shortly after the PA left. The nursing student was with me and PT offered for her to stay for the session. I asked it there was a "car" for practice getting in/out of driver's side sue to my 90 degree precautions (this was easier with the left hip replacement). Happiness to find that on another floor there was a practice car! YIPPEE! 

Before the car I had to show my ability to do stairs. I was able to walk with a regular gait to the room with stairs. I did a few rotations on the stairs - yes heavy leg and some pain but doable.

I was wheeled to the elevator and to the "gym". PT showed the movements as a passenger and driver first. I was attentively. My turn! I was bale to do both without breaking 90! Success!

The wonderful nursing student (I wish I could remember her name) got me back to the Ortho floor with PT and I was allowed to walk from the elevator to my room.

I found that daytime TV - especially that offered with the hospital plan left much to be desired! LOL!

Lunch was delivered! Yes - 2 more brownies! Plan - take them home with me!

Another trip to bathroom. Another scan. Success - under 400cc retained again! HOME I come!

he hospital offered to fill all my prescriptions! UUHHHMM - Yes please! Not having to stop at my regular pharmacy or have my husband go back out to pick up meds was a no brainer for me.

We decided on a 3PM pick up by my husband. After completing final discharge paperwork I was brought to a really nice "discharge" lounge to wait for my medication delivery and for my man to arrive. This lounge was "new" since my last time in this hospital. Very nice addition and this allowed staff on the floor to prepare my room for a new patient. SMART!

Just after 3PM I am wheeled to the car and off to home sweet home!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement