Back to work and more!

Happy Saturday evening all! Sorry I have not posted in a bit! My computer was in to fix the sound and a tune up plus I returned to work two weeks ago! Time to catch up!!!

So as noted above, I returned to work two weeks ago on 5/23. I had some work restrictions having me stay in the office. Considering that I work with formerly homeless individuals that may have mental health and/or substance abuse issues this was wise. 

I found that sitting could raise some stiffness and pain so I set my watch to prompt walking. Of course, true to me, I did not always walk when prompted however, I did make sure that I had a balance between sitting and standing and walking. So, all-in-all work days were not bad at all. It was great to be back with the team I work with and to talk to and meet with some of my residents!

I had PT 2 times a week! As I have shared previously..."I love my therapist"! I have worked with him for any surgery or injury since March 2015. He understands me, my goals and pushes me or restrains me as necessary! He has no problem reminding me the "less can truly be more" and not to push the recovery. He has taught me that soft tissue takes time to heal and if you have inflammation from doing too much you will slow this process. For as hard as it is I really did try to pull back. I know I walked much more than he wanted - up to 9(ish) miles...NOT every day!! Actually ...ONCE!  LOL! My average was about 5.5 - 6 miles a few times a week. 

On non-walk days, I used the ellipticals or rode the indoor cycle. I also used strength equipment, primarily, upper body.

During PT sessions I did single leg press, weighted side, back and forward walking using the pulley system, spring weighted step press and walking bridges. We graduated to using the fitness ball for bridges and I added roll ins, using my core and hamstrings in the movement. I did many, many clamshells using a resistance band and them moved up to reverse clam shells (for internal rotation) and side plank clamshells.

I did many routine exercises, prone leg lifts, planks, balance square, resistance side steps, etc. My PT allowed use of the leg curl and extension machines.

My final day of outpatient PT was this past Thursday. In this session his focus was testing range of motion. I passed! Full range of motion including outside 90 degree precautions (they were being lifted the next day!)!

I have been going to the gym most days after work. I always take Fridays as a full rest day and typically have another day that I do little cardio and more body weight work and stretching. 

Yesterday I saw my surgeon for my 6-week check up! This man is my idol! I feel he is a phenomenal surgeon and he is humble. He wanted to take no credit for my success in this hip recovery. I feel I did so great due to his surgical skills. Remember, he has done all my replacements - knee and 2 hips!

He released me of all restrictions however kept some limitations for work due to the type of work. He released me to go back to teaching my fitness classes beginning on Monday! I am so HAPPY! I will be teaching indoor cycling 3 times a week and a dynamic strength class (I am in process of putting some class formats together) one time a week. I can't wait to be back.

X-rays were taken of my right knee....not pretty. Replacement being scheduled. I definitely feel the pain related to the damage to the joint. I am looking forward to "not feeling a joint".  Although I feel a little strange knowing both knees and both hips will not be original parts I will be happy to not feel pain and have the best mobility! My goal is to continue being active and teaching classes well into my retirement (I will be 66 in September). This last surgery and being realistic about intensity of exercise will allow me to continue to pursue my passion.

Trust me. We are all different. Our need/reasons for surgery are different. The surgeons approaches are different. How we recover is different. My recovery for this hip replacement is different than my first in September 2020. Both required work and rest. Both were very successful. Old saying..."It is a marathon...not a sprint". Having been a marathoner I know what this means. Trust your surgeon, first and foremost. Trust yourself. 

WE GOT THIS!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement