Let's get to surgery day!!!! The countdown!

I really did not have months to prepare for surgery date. I think that once the date was finalized, I had just about a month to get ready! That is a quick "countdown".

The busiest part of the countdown to surgery day was work! As most of you know, I work full-time as a Case Manager at Helio Health. I work with those who have been chronically homeless; most being homeless over one year. These individuals have a number of challenges; substance use and mental health issues are foremost. There is a HUD initiative that has been in place for quite some time; Housing First. The program grant supports the provision of housing and case management services to those who qualify. We provide a furnished apartment with some basic household goods to program participants. I assist my residents in the development of a Service Plan; establishing, at minimum housing goals. Residents are not responsible for rent; however they do apply for Public Assistance which is paid to Helio Health as a supplement to rent. Additionally, if the resident receives any income, he/she is required to pay 30% of said income as rent.

The challenge is that residents are not "required" to maintain Public Assistance nor do they have to abstain from illicit substances. This is difficult for me as I want all to live their best life and to be healthy. I also believe that nothing is "free" and that having some level of accountability will augment recovery. I have many successes with my residents and some that continue to be a "work in progress".

I also work over-time at what was called the "halfway house" for women; Harriet May Mills. It continues to be called Harriet May Mills and serves women in their next steps in their recovery journey. The licensing has changes therefore it is considered "reintegration" instead of "halfway". I have assisted there since the stat of the COVID-19 pandemic in our area - March 2020. The work is very different than my day-to-day responsibilities. Typically, the women have completed an inpatient program or are being mandated following the release from incarceration. There is a mix in commitment from the women; many verbalize the desire to maintain the changes made so far and to continue on the road to recovery. These women actually walk the walk. And then......there are the opposite. They talk the talk; which eventually catches up. There are expectations, rules and accountabilities. Many "work" these like their job; others....well...they pretend and even believe they are getting one up on staff. UUUHHHMMM...nope! I have been a part of and seen wonderful successes! I have become emotional are the failures. My only hope is that the "next time" will the "the ONE".

So work certainly distracted me from any anxiety regarding surgery. I had much to do in order to have the needs of my residents either resolved or noted, in detail, for my coworkers to follow up on in my absence.

I was also teaching my exercise classes. Thank God!!!!

I have been teaching Indoor cycle routinely, 4 times a week (Aspen Fairmount and Northws. I was also teaching Stretch, Core and More two times a month. I helped out when a sub was needed in a class, Strength and Chisel. All of this certainly helped my mental health and also built my strength.

I would augment my classes with strength training and additional cardio - elliptical and treadmill. My friend Laurie would come to my classes at Aspen in Fairmount and we would get a killer strength workout in following it. So thankful to have great members participating in my classes - they all gave it their ALL each class. I made sure that I prepared challenging workouts that were adaptable for all fitness levels!

The count down flew by.......next up Surgery Day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement