WELCOME 2019

And just like that.....It is 2019! Do you find that as we get older the year goes by faster?? I am wrapping my head around how quickly 2018 seemed to go!

Before I begin, please let me apologize for not posting in "forever". I have no excuses, except for "life"......

I am making it a goal for 2019 to get back into a routine of posting...this site is important to me as it allows me to stay focused on wellness and to share my thoughts and feelings!

As you saw....I used the word "goal" rather than "resolution" ... I am a firm believer in making goals; yes, even at the New Year. I realized that my past held numerous "resolutions" that barely came to fruition. Most of my resolutions were put aside weeks into proclaiming them. I soon realized that I was more connected and committed to setting goals. This year will be no different - goal setting soon!

There are many reflections for 2018.

HEALTH - At the end of 2017 my diagnosis of Undifferentiated Connective Tissue disease was changed to Rheumatoid Arthritis. This was a bit unsettling to me, however, I did research and reached out to people I know also living through a chronic illness and quickly realized I would not allow RA define me. I stay "present" with the knowledge that a chronic condition has to be recognized and I am more aware now to allow my body to rest. My "less is more" learning following my knee replacement has served me well as meet RA face-to-face......

As a part of "health" is WELLNESS and FITNESS....As I have shared previously I am becoming more focused on "wellness" and having "fitness" be a part of this rather than viceversa.

In 2018 I introduced the class "Stretch, Core and More" - kicking myself that I did not come up with this format sooner!! I truly enjoy teaching this class to the members of Aspen Liverpool and have the goal to add it at Aspen Fairmount (Sundays - 11AM). I have a great group of members that have made this class a regular! Another goal for 2019 is to add more cardio with less impact to my routine. Join me!!!

WORK - Well...here was a HUGE change; allowing me many reflections! At the end of 2017 I lost my job as the Executive Director at Park Terrace Assisted Living. Everything happens for a reason...

I took time to think about my professional future; knowing that I am on the "swan song" side of it; preparing to retire.....

I was honest with myself and decided that I no longer wanted to be "the chief" - years of stress had taken a toll. I spent almost 6 months searching for a new path. I went on a number of interviews - pharmacies, senior living communities, grocery stores.....I was fortunate to be given an opportunity with Helio Health (previously known as Syracuse Behavioral Health; Syracuse Brickhouse).

I was offered a position as a Case Manager in the Residential Services area - Permanent Housing. I have shared previously in a blog how "eye opening" this has been for me. The number of homeless in our community is staggering. The reasons are many; the most significant is substance abuse and mental health. Never underestimate the power of opiates....many have fallen to the addiction...moving to heroin as the pills are difficult to attain. Heroin has no limits to who can become addicted....anyone is at risk. Add to this additives and synthetic drugs such as "spike" and the number of overdoses increases.

I was given a new opportunity at Helio Health and added the position as a Cae Manager for the Emergency Solutions Grant Program. This allows me to assist individuals who become acutely homeless secure housing. I have worked with women that have been victims of domestic violence and families (with children) who have lost their home.

In both of these positions it is rewarding to assist others in making positive live changes. I LOVE my job - I really do!

LOSS - This year I had friends and acquaintances that endured significant losses. I may never fully understand why young, good people are taken suddenly from life.....a son, husband, brother, father, sister, mother, aunt, uncle, grandmother, grandfather - no matter who....know that you are loved and missed. I learned to never take tomorrow for granted. And I have prayed every day for my friends to be given strength and guidance to cope with their loss and to treasure every memory.

A part of LOSS is COURAGE - In 2018 I have witnessed incredible courage by those that had a loss. I have also seen courage from those living with or battling disease. Cancer sucks! Chronic illness sucks! I have family and friends that have met their battle with a FIGHT! My hope for 2019 is that they never lose this spirit!!

CHANGE - The one constant in life is change. Relationships, friendships all change - some growing; some ending. 2018 had changes for me. There were ups and downs but in the end all prevailed. I came to realize that, at times, friendships can be founded on "interests" - I am lucky to have friends that even with changes in "interest", etc. we remain connected. I have accepted that I may not see some of my friends as often before but nonetheless we are FRIENDS.

Relationships with family may also change. My words to live by.....we may not always like but we will always LOVE.

My friends......I hope that your 2018 gave you as many lessons as I had. I hope that you found good health, success, happiness, love, contentment, acceptance and joy! My 2018 was filled with all!

I thank you for what you bring to my life. Each of you touch my life in your own unique and individual way.

Here is to 2019 - let us make it the best of the best!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement