Eye opening....

I know that my blog is focused on being "Agelessly Fit" and I thought for a moment if my blog topic would "fit" ... then I realized that the purpose of my blog is to bring health, wellness and fitness to the forefront of our thinking and mindset; bringing many topics into the mix....so...here I go...bringing another aspect to consider...

As many of you know I started a new job; actually a new career this week. As a Case Manager for permanent housing at Syracuse Behavioral Health I am assisting the homeless in finding "Housing First". This means that the individual must be homeless for 12 months or for a period of 12 months over 3 years....

Imagine??? Can you??? Can you imagine being homeless??

What I saw this week .. 

  • But there for the grace of God go I
  • We have may more individuals effected by addiction and/or mental health than we realize
  • Addiction and/or mental health challenges have no economic boundaries - the challenge is augmented by inability to pay and/or access to early medical and intervention services
  • There is a true need for donations to many diverse service providers
  • Some want and embrace recovery and support
  • Some do not have the knowledge to see the betterment of life
  • Individuals may die alone
  • There are many forms of addiction - all bringing a sense of hopelessness
  • Some made a difficult choice to end life on their own
  • I and MANY can MAKE A DIFFERENCE
I hope that over time I will be able to share nonspecific stories with you; never breaking confidentiality. I believe that it is important the what you see on the streets...panhandling...sleeping under bridges and on park benches....vile acts of daily living and more is a bigger issue than you realize. Drive by Samaritan House in the morning or late afternoon and see the number of individuals coming for a meal....

Honestly, I will say, I never saw the scope of the issue.....until this week. Even those who had "the life" we all have today had an incident that brought them to where they are today. Scary...raw....real.

So...what I ask of you tonight....be open to looking at the man/woman on the corner with a sign with a different perspective. Consider what you have that you could contribute to the mission of recovery - addiction/mental health....there any so many needs.

I believe that this work is another "calling" to me - just as fitness and wellness...I see another passion brewing...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement