Mountain Goat 2018

It happened! The 2018 Mountain Goat was conquered by MANY!

Following my surgery on my right knee and the prognosis of a total knee replacement I made the decision that running could not be in my fitness regimen.

Now....I survived making changes in my activities for fitness following my knee replacement on the left side; however, I found that I was able to participate in races - replacing full running with jogging. I let go of PR's and found JOY in being with and connected to the running community, especially my runner friends.

This time, making a decision not to participate in races was disheartening. I was beginning to experience changes in my activities (giving up HIIT) and in some ways with my connections. Sunday was typically "running" day - a time to spend with my friends in a common activity - "sole sisters".

I pondered the decision. I knew I was "fit" enough to go the distances. Was I willing to "walk"?

YES! I could do this and I reached out to see if anyone wanted to join me! Thankful that Twilite Bernozzi and Cindy Heck were IN!! Of course, this was a "last minute" decision so training time was minimal. But the commitment was there and we got time in on the treadmill testing pace and incline settings.

As race day approached we felt "ok" with our decision; we knew we could and would cross the finish line! And that we did! Official time 2:09:28/31!! We were FAR from "last" - there were 100 participants following us!

So.....did we just walk? No....we skipped and we jogged. But we also SAW - we were able to see the views from the top of the hill at Onondaga Park. We took a picture at the statue of the goat. We saw the bands - we heard the bands - I danced to the bands!

We saw the faces of the volunteers. We saw the signs and the messages in chalk on the roads. We saw the smiles of those cheering on runners. We saw the "exercise equipment" in Thorden Park. I jumped on the giant elliptical!

We talked. We high-fived. We were connected to the "RACE"!

My perspective was changed! I should say ... I was reminded that my perspective had changed!

Following my knee  replacement 3 years ago I changed my expectations and goals to meet the changes in my body. I found accomplishment in "just being out there". As my knee healed and I became stronger I pushed the limits. Perhaps this was not the smartest thing to do. I think in some ways I allowed my "mind" and "pride" to get the better of my "sound" decision that "less is more"!

Did pushing the limit affect my right knee? Perhaps.....

This reminds me that ALL of us need to listen to our body. We need to recognize changes as we age, or due to injury. We need to listen to consistent "pain" and make changes. We need to slow down at times. We need to change our expectations if necessary as this will allow us to be "IN" for the long-term. I want to have wellness and fitness in my life until the day that I die. I want to "move", to "walk", to "function" in life.

This Mountain Goat connected me with my friends and to myself.

Thank you Cindy for joining me - you being by my side had very special meaning to me, as I know it did for you.

Thank you Twilite for joining me - this allowed us to reconnect and a very special meaning to me.

Thank you my runner friends for the connections we continue to have regardless of the frequency of togetherness - these races bring us together!

My message = Just MOVE! Stay ACTIVE! LESS IS MORE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement