Coming back - A reality we all dealt with or may at some point

Today's topic was brought to me by a long-time and very special friend Scott. Scott lives in Wisconsin and we became friends quite a few years ago. At the time, I was running and Scott was finding his renewed interest in exercise! Running seemed like a manageable exercise choice for him and so his journey began!

He did pretty well with his plan and got into a routine. This was also an activity he could enjoy with his kids!! He also entered some races and improved over time. Then, as with many of us, life took on more demands of his time and running, according to a plan, did not always work out.

And so the bumps in the road - the journey had some destinations that did not support a clear path.  This is normal. It can happen in our fitness journey but we can always get back on the right path.....

So fast forward to a few days ago when Scott sent me a message asking how to "get it back"? He explained that as he has gotten older (we all do!!) the wheels fell off the bus. It got harder and harder to come back, mostly due to, for lack of a better term "muscle memory". "Performance memory" might be a better term.(His exact words by the way!!)

He was looking for advice on how to "get out of his head" - to reset the performance memory or erase the memory to the point where you can focus on what your body is doing now, working it accordingly instead of pushing it like you remembered it.

AAAAHHHH....he really answered his own question - almost!!

There are actually two topics to talk about:

First - MUSCLE MEMORY - Yes...there is such a thing; although there is controversy in howlong it is retained. Many of the article related to the topic reference "muscle memory" in strength training. I did find some articles in which other activities, including running were noted.

OK - we agree that there is muscle memory. And we can agree that even after taking time off the memory can return. Realize - the memory does not come back the second you begin the exercise or activity. It takes time. NO - you cannot - begin where you ended! This will result at least PAIN but more likely injury!!!

Now on to the second topic - PERFORMANCE MEMORY! To me...this is the issue...no...the challenge. WHY??? Because YOU control this!!! Yes...you really do!

Performance memory is that haunting of the past - the pace, the PRs, the distance, the amount of weight lifted/squatted/pressed. It is that memory of "how I used to be". It is that memory that messes with us after time off from exercise/activity; it has us thinking we can pick up right where we left off. In some ways performance memory is our ego taking us to a place we don't belong; well at least not right away.

I can remember how I used to feel before and, honestly, after my total knee replacement. Before the replacement I would have challenges training and/or I would not feel I was at peak performance on race days. I would not accept (in my head) that I would have to change my expectations of my performance and then disappointment would set in if I did not get a PR (which was happening more and more)......

After the replacement I had a challenge accepting that I should not run anymore....so...I ran...well...I power walked and  jogged (or so I rationalized) until I was really, for all intense purposes, running....

Performance memory has the potential for a lot of pain and quite frankly, injury. Yes...we can have a goal to "get back to where we were". And if approached logically and correctly, we just might hit
that goal. What you need to remember is that not long ago you had a day the you STARTED! You had a DAY ONE!!!

Most of us did not run a 7:00/minute mile, or a marathon on day one! We did not lift super heavy weights on day one! We trained. We worked our way "up" - hopefully in a smart manner.

When you are coming back you have to start at the beginning. Most likely you will make gains faster, but, only if you begin where you should. Don't over do. Don't expect too much! Come out of "your head"!

You might just be surprised how fast you get it back!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement