My history of exercise - The beginning!



Agelessly Fit - My history of exercise

I have worked out most of my life...I was going to write "adult life" however, I remember joining the local "Health club" when I was around 15 or 16. At the moment I can't remember the name of the first club I joined but I do remember that there was a piece of "exercise equipment" that had rollers that you leaned against to "reduce fat". I looked up vintage exercise equipment and found this:
Related image
Kellogg Stomach Roller
Yup...this is close enough!! It looks very similar to the equipment that was in "my health club" that I could not wait to use. I would contort parts of my body over the roller knowing that my "fat" would be magically removed! OH...and how could I forget......the "Vibrating belt"!!!! Yes...the magic to remove cellulite and fat!!!! I think I felt the effects from being rolled and shaken for hours after leaving the building!!

Now, of course, there was also free weights and other machines that actually worked the body in a realistic manner to gain muscle and lose fat. However, the emphasis on form and correct use of weight machines was not what it is today. Yes...there has been more research to contradict how we "worked" in the past. I still remember lat pull downs being done facing the equipment and then turning around and pulling the bar behind my head!!

My cardio equipment was the Schwinn Airdyne Bike!!
Related image
Schwinn Airdyne Bike

I went from "Health Club" to "Health Club" - always joining the newest one: Cosmopolitan featured the "whirlpool"; Kelly Lynn's draw was being for women only and featured Hi-Lo Aerobic classes.

I remember living in Buffalo in the late 80's and I joined a 'fitness place' (I cannot call it a "health club" or "gym") that had a number of "tables" - called "toning tables", each moved a part of your body for a period of time to tone your muscles and improve circulation....
Toning Tables
Slender You Toning Tables
How can I forget my constant searches for the "perfect body" - to be thin; to be in! Jazzercise, Thigh Master, Ab Roller, Tae Bo, Jane Fonda workouts and the list goes on and on......


Related imageRelated imageRelated image

And....what we wore back in the day.....



There was certainly a lot of learning and growth throughout these years. I will never regret this part of the journey. Regardless of how "ridiculous these fads seem now" at the time they instilled the passion I have to fitness and wellness today! Let's see what today's youth will find ridiculous in 40 years from today!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hip Hop Horray - The decision process

Update on knee replacement recovery

Knee VS Hip Replacement